ABOUT ST. JOHN CENTRAL SCHOOL

Karen.png

Welcome to St. John Central School!

 

St. John has been educating students since 1956. We have a long history of providing a strong academic, as well as Catholic, education for our students. Our smaller class sizes mean our students receive more individual attention from our dedicated teachers and staff.


Our school still holds the same traditional values that it was founded on. Along with this, there have been positive improvements over the years. Our technology plan is for every student in K-8 th grades to have a Chromebook. We will reach this goal by our 2022-2023 school year. Also, thanks to our St. John School Foundation, we have an updated security system, newly remodeled kindergarten bathrooms, and new LED lighting throughout the school. The next projects are building a wall to separate first and second grades into classrooms, and updating the bathrooms in the basement.

 

During COVID we were able to keep our doors open and our students in their classrooms. We want our students to do their best academically, and grow in their faith and moral values. Our goal is to provide our students with the best educational opportunities in our area. St. John will continue to promote a strong sense of family and community.


Our staff is committed to following our mission statement, and to educating our students in a Christ-centered environment. Scripture tells us in 1 Kings 8: 61 – “And may your hearts be fully committed to the Lord our God, to live by his decrees and to obey his commands, as at this time.”

Sincerely,

Karen Pottmeyer
Principal

Our History
  • In early 1950, pastors from Churchtown, Beverly, and Lowell met to discuss the need for a Catholic School System in this area.

  • In 1955, the necessary funds had been raised and a contract was signed for the erection of a brick building consisting of four classrooms, restroom facilities, and offices. 

  • On September 9, 1956, the inauguration and blessing of the new school with Monsignor Ambrose Schilling of Beverly and Father Charles Highland of Churchtown officiating.

  • In the spring of 1957, an agreement to work with the Sisters of the Assumption of Grahamsville, South Africa, and with Father Charles Highland culminated in the sisters’ arrival in May 1958.

  • St. John Central School was designated a parochial school on August 30, 1959.

  • In June 1961, the Diocesan Office of Education elevated St. John Grade School to the status of St. John Central School with the addition of the parishes of Our Lady of Mercy, Lowell; St. Bernard, Beverly; and St. Ambrose, Little Hocking (formerly Vincent).

  • In recent years, a new wing was constructed which added three primary classrooms and a storage area.  

  • In 2006, a preschool opened in the St. John Parish Hall/Senior Center located between St. John Central School and St. John the Baptist Church.  

  • For over 60 years, St. John Central School has been a pillar in the community and has provided students with a sound education--both morally and academically.  

Our Mission

In the spirit of Catholic tradition, the St. John Central School community is committed to the ongoing total development of spiritual growth and academic learning in a Christ-centered environment.

Our Beliefs

We, the faculty, staff, parents, and stakeholders of St. John Central School hold the following beliefs as pivotal to the mission of our school:

  1. Parents/guardians are the primary educators of their children.

  2. The school exists to serve all families who desire a Christ-centered education for their children and who support the school’s mission and beliefs.

  3. Each student is a unique individual with spiritual, moral, physical, social, emotional, and intellectual needs.

  4. Parents, staff, students and community members will work together to model Christ- centered values.

  5. The school is committed to providing optimal learning for all students.

  6. The school promotes understanding and appreciation of wholesome and true cultural diversity.